[parisc-linux] FB on c3k

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 09:46:03 -0700

"M. Grabert" wrote:
> very nice!
> Is the Visual-EG of the same type as the Visual-EG in my C240?

Same generation, but I'm using "Vis-EG/PCI" vs plain "Vis-EG".
I expect them to be the same (prgramming model) but don't know
if they actually are.

> Can you use the driver for Visual-FX aswell (AFAIK these are similar) ?

They are not similar. Vis-EG is 1280x1024 8 bit.
Vis-FX are all 24-bit color. FX2/4/6 have 3d acceleration
and texture mapping functionality (AFAIK, Vis-FXe does not)
I think Vis-FX can handle higher resolutions as well.

> Packed pixel:
>
> If you see stripes it is very likely that you mix up PACKED pixels and
> NONPACKED pixels. But I think that's what you already checked.

I haven't. "PACKED PIXEL" is what the kernel currently hands back.
I believe this works for Vis-EG/GSC on PA1.1 machines.

> Mini-tiles/Packed pixel:
> Interleaved:
I don't think Vis-EG/PCI uses either of the above.

> BTW, Is the color of the displayed picture alright ?

I can't tell since the visible portions are only black.
Maybe that's a hint they are not.

> Is the picture streched/compressed or cropped ?
> You didn't say whether the Tux picture also had black stripes.

Both STICON text and Tux are striped diagonally top-left
to bottom right.

> Try to use some test-pictures (e.g. all red, all green. all blue,
> check-boxed, special patterns ...)!

That's a good idea. I setup some GIF for that.

> Actually I don't think I'm telling you any new stuff.
> So let's stop here and I wish you good luck!

For me, much of it is new. I don't know anything about FB layout.

thanks,
grant