[parisc-linux] XFree-4.2 and C110

Bryan W. Headley bwheadley@earthlink.net
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 09:48:18 -0500

Tried the new 4.2.0 snapshots on my C110. It tells me it cannot find the
framebuffer, and can't support 24-bit color (even though 4.1 can).

The system appears to be looking in /proc/bus/pci to look for video
cards and framebuffers, which is a bogus way to find video cards on a
PC, too (VESA bus, ISA, EISA, MCA... where is that video card?)

On the sparc/32, they're going down /proc/openprom to find the video
adapter; I'm wondering if it's appropriate to try to expose the device
list the kernel sees during bootup as a /proc file, and then write a
special handler like they have for "sbus".

I'm not too fond of synthesizing a "pci" directory, and making up fake
IDs for things that aren't PCI cards...

a) anyone already come up with a better solution?
b) if one has to be developed, is a little file in /proc the way to go?

--
Bryan W. Headley - bwheadley@earthlink.net