[parisc-linux] [OT] PCI hardware question

eddantes@wanadoo.fr eddantes@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:54:41 +0200

Hello list

I guess this is not the best place to ask, but I don't really know any
other, so here is my question.

I'm planning to buy a second hand station at some point and have fun
with Linux, but in the documentation process, I discovered some stations
have problemw with PCI hardware.

The question is: which kind of PCI stuff is this? Regular, PC compatible
cards, or HP specific?

If I remember correctly, various cards (PCI, ISA, AGP and so on) come
with a firmware, that has to "match" the host computer. I know some OSes
bypass this firmware and re-discover everything, others don't.

So the logical other way to ask the question is: is it possible to stick
(fairly standard) ISA or PCI PC cards into an HP station and get them to
work?

Relly sorry if this is a brain-dead question... :)

Thanks a lot
/Dantes