Applied GNU GPL virus was Re: [parisc-linux] PA8000 modutils problems

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:13:35 +0100 (IST)

Gotcha!

Sorry, I hate to reply to my previous main, but I think it's important!

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, M. Grabert wrote:

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:52:20 +0100 (IST)
> From: M. Grabert <xam@cs.ucc.ie>
> To: parisc-linux@lists.parisc-linux.org
> Subject: [parisc-linux] PA8000 modutils problems
>
> Hi, I have some problems in compiling the latest kernels;

[... problem report ...]

Now the important part (the .signature of the post):

> thanks in advance, max
> --
> I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your signature.
> This email was infected under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

[...]

Well, I got a lot of really helpful responses from alot of nice people,
but unfortunately we have some issue here:

Some of the people who replied to my email didn't include the original
email (source code) as required by the GNU GPL or even didn't include the
copyleft reference in their replies!
The first point is probably not valid, since the original email is
probably referenced in the mail header and usually stored in the same mail
archive and thus can be easily accessed.
But the latter is IMHO a more severe thing: you definitely violated the
GNU GPL by this! (I think all of these people are listed in the CC: field)

Be careful that you won't get caught in this trap next time :)

BTW, I should have included the GNU GPL in my first email (and not only
mention/reference it), shouldn't I ?
Moreover is an email a valid soure code as described in the GNU GPL ?

greetings max

PS: I won't sue you because of this incident (neither now nor later) :)))
PPS: This is ment to be (at least) a half-serious email. Any useful
from laywers! ;)