[parisc-linux] Unaligned access failures with apt-get on SMP

Mon, 17 Jun 2002 00:12:16 -0400 (EDT)

> any way I can tell from the binary?

Not that I am aware of.  On further thought, I think the user code is ok.

Studying you original message further, I see that the printout from
unaligned.c is fully consistent with the register dump and user code.
Thus, I have to think that the problem is actually in the kernel.

If the failure occurs all the time, I would put a break at 0x4005e47c
and then set a large ignore count.  Run the program and see how many
times the break is hit before the fault occurs.  Then, set the ignore
count to 1 less than the number of hits and rerun.  If the fault is
deterministic, you should be able to determine the exact conditions
which cause the "trap".

Oh, I remember that gdb may not print r3 correctly with info reg.
It's better to use p $r3 or printf "0x%x\n", $r3.

Dave