[parisc-linux] Sources browsing tool?

Rafael E. Herrera raffo@neuronet.pitt.edu
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 15:29:14 -0400

joel.soete@freebel.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can you advise me some browsing tools which would allowing me to find quickly
> where a variable, a function is define; where is used,... in this big amount
> source which represent kernel now (find is not always easy).
>
> I find well a work of reverse engineering (rigiedit) of the kernel but not for 2.4.
> And unfortunately sources (tcl/tk iirc) do not seems to be available to port on
> hppa.

If you are using Emacs as your editor, you could use TAGS to locate
definitions, etc.
This script may need editing:

##
# Build an ETAG file of the linux kernel sources.
ARCH=parisc

find arch/$ARCH drivers fs include/{asm-$ARCH,linux,net,scsi,video} \
      init ipc kernel lib mm net -name '*.[chS]' -print | sort | etags -
##

I used this quite a while ago, when I was writing a driver. You will
need to consult the emacs manual on how to use tags.
--
     Rafael