[parisc-linux] SOM linker on Linux/ia32, Linux/PARISC targeting HPUX/PARISC

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:06:11 +0100

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 01:55:26PM -0700, Sue Ludwig wrote:
> I'm looking for a linker that runs on Linux/ia32, Linux/PARISC32, or
> Linux/PARISC64 but targets HPUX/PARISC32 (generates SOM).
>
> I've seen the related emails with the subject line:
> HP open sourcing the SOM linker (Fri., Nov. 19, 1999)
> http://lists.parisc-linux.org/hypermail/parisc-linux/0252.html
> [Semi OT] SOM Linker (Wed., Nov. 15, 2000)
> http://lists.parisc-linux.org/hypermail/parisc-linux/2227.html
>
> But no information on if such a linker was ever successfully built.
>
> I've also tried to access the linker source code at:
> ftp://puffin.external.hp.com/pub/parisc/linker
> http://www.thepuffingroup.com/parisc/cvs.html
> but was unable to.  Does anyone know where the PA32 linker source code can
> be accessed?

Wow.  Best of luck!  The parisc-linux kernel was converted from SOM
to ELF about 2 years ago, so nobody's used it recently.  You can see
the source code at http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/obsolete/linker/ If you
follow the instructions on the website, you can check out the sources with
`cvs co obsolete/linker'.

Best of luck, I don't know how easy this is going to be to make work...

Have you considered an alias which copies all the .o files to an hpux
host and runs the linker there?  ;-)