[parisc-linux] Re: e45 as a diskless server

Christoph Plattner christoph.plattner@gmx.at
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:56:51 +0200

Have you checked, that the E45 may have (my E55 definitively has) a
"wrong" pin out. It look to be the opposite pin assignment like a
modem, but further studies have shown, that it is non-standard.

I have soldered 8x adapters from 25-female to 25-female but with
the SUN compatible pin out ! This is the same as on the PC (25pin)
but female instead of male !

The following wirering is necessary to have a PC or SUN compatible
connector:
MUX side      PC/SUN like connector
	3.......2
	2.......3
	8.......4
	22......5
	20......6
	7.......7
	4.......8
	6.......20
	9.......22

So you can use a simple NULL-Modem cable to connect the PC to the
PC/SUN compatible MUX connector.

For simple serial console you can use following:
	Only use pins 2,3 and 7, where 2=RX, 3=TX and 7=GND !
If you use NOT a UNIX-like system on the PC the bridge CTS and RTS
pins on the PC side.

On my E55 only port 0 (first connector) is used for the serial console.

With friendly regards
Christoph P.

private:	christoph.plattner@gmx.at
company:	christoph.plattner@alcatel.at