[parisc-linux] i dont know jack

Juergen Braukmann juergen.braukmann@ruhr-west.de
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:29:15 +0200

> Rick Vernam schrieb:
>
> i work at place that gets tons of computer junk >from companies that
> are getting rid of their equip.  one of our requirements is to kill
> the partitions on the HDs ( it is known that will no completely remove
> data, just make is a little more difficult to get too ).  so we are
> getting HP machines with pa-risc stuff and most wont boot ( i know
> enough to know how to initiate a boot ).  is there some way, using
> this parisc-linux that i can quickly kill partitions?
>
> -Rick
> rickvernam@hotmail.com

Hi Rick, there probably is. Boot into some nini root environment and
type:

dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sda [assuming THE drive is sda]

this will overwrite the intire disk with zero bytes (or was /dev/zero
the proper device for that??). Atlernetivly, /dev/random might be a good
source of rubbish data. ;-)

there is the bs= parameter as well (block size). You probably need to
experiment a bit with that, I tried to copy a 20GB disk via dd and it
was dead slow, but I used 8KB as bs. I'd now start with a value of 4-8
MB.

dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 will overwrite the boot
sector and partition table; but that's DOS-logic, I do not know how much
of that applies to original HP-UX disks.

Juergen

--
Juergen Braukmann juergen.braukmann@gmx.de| -o)/ /  (_)__  __ ____  __