[parisc-linux] C180 FWSCSI e2fs coruption

phi phi@hpfrcu81.france.hp.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:50:21 +0200

Hi,

I try to setup a C180. I have no CD and 'may be' my problems come from there.

I have a bootable external drive (that use to run on a 712) I boot this
external drive from the C180, it boot narrow ilp32, from there I partionion
the internal FWSCSI drive, 3 partition, it look like this

iws1pb02:/# fdisk /dev/sda

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 133 heads, 62 sectors, 1017 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8246 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1         8     32953   f0  Linux/PA-RISC boot
/dev/sda2             9        50    173166   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3            51      1017   3986941   83  Linux

Then I made mkswap, mke2fs, then I cpio -p the external disc onto the internal
disc (after a mount of the external disc).

I rm /etc/mtab and reboot the internal disc, I boot isl to tune the kernel
runstring, then I got something that works....

The idea then is to refresh the 'old' booted distro with a mega apt-get
upgrade, all went fine until apt-get start displaying things like this

Err http://ftp.fr.debian.org unstable/main libgnorba27 1.4.1.7-2
  Could not open file
/var/cache/apt/archives/partial/libgnorba27_1.4.1.7-2_hppa.deb - open (30
Read-only file system)

Apparently the / wne RO because of coruption detected.

And a quick look of file showing

phi@iws1pb02:/usr$ find .
find: ./share/doc/xserver-common: Input/output error
find: ./share/doc/liblcms: Input/output error
find: ./share/perl/5.6.1/bigfloat.pl: Input/output error
find: ./share/perl/5.6.1/bigint.pl: Input/output error
find: ./share/perl/5.6.1/bigrat.pl: Input/output error

At this stage the FS is real corupted, and fsck -y can correct, but many files
are lost.

I am doing something wrong? does e2fs survive that big FS partition? Does the
FWSCSI reliable? May be my disc is shaky?

Thanx in advance for any sugestions
Phi