[parisc-linux] STI framebuffer and PINE

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:50:22 -0600

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> But the K class hardware is not well supported.  Lan and Console
> are the only two devices which really work; the SCSI cards don't use the
> normal NCR/Symbios chips but a proprietary chip instead.

Not entirely correct. K-class has both HSC (GSC follow-on) and HP-PB "slots".
IIRC, the built-in SCSI is HSC based. But you are right in that all the HP-PB
crud isn't supported.

> Hmm.. anyone want to do a `testimonials' section on the website which
> lists peoples (successful ;-) experiences with using PA/Linux in
> production environments?

ESIEE folks have that already in their "what's supported" HW listing.
Please see the ESIEE "puffin" site for where to submit them.

> > [ObOnTopic] What is the state of the 2.4 pa-risc code in terms of rate
> > of change now. Would it be a good time to use -ac as a real sync up ?
>
> rate of change is fairly low; i attempted to do a merge with marcelo
> during early 2.4.19 dev, but someone sent some conflicting patches in
> first, i tripped over my own feet trying to use bitkeeper and ran out
> of motivation to fix conflicts myself.

I agree, hppa is quite stable on UP and most SMP systems.
BTW - no one ever said "Thank you" for doing that - kudos!

> at OLS we decided to concentrate on 2.5 RSN.  it's more important to
> work on that than keep trying to push bits into 2.4.

yes - but I'd still like to see our changes get into 2.4.
I just want to be doing development on 2.5.

Alan Cox wrote:
| Is there somewhere I can yank a definitive stable 2.4 tree and I'll take
| a look at the 2.4 stuff. I've had a bit of practice at the merging game
| 8)

Just a bit? ;^)

For a full source tree:
	ftp://ftp.parisc-linux.org/cvs/linux-latest.tar.gz

lrwxrwxrwx    1 bame     ftpadmin       24 Jul 13 18:35 linux-latest.tar.gz -> linux-2.4.18-pa55.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 bame     ftpadmin 30508560 Jul 13 18:35 linux-2.4.18-pa55.tar.gz

hth,
grant