[parisc-linux] SMP (in)stability

Jeremy Drake jeremyd@apptechsys.com
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 19:40:52 -0700 (PDT)

After having read on this list that some SMP-related problems were fixed,
I decided to try out the latest kernel as SMP on my J5k.  I tried my old
test, apt-get update, on it.  It downloaded the package lists fine, but
stopped after printing "Reading Package Lists... 0%".  Since I was running
over an ssh session, I don't have any console log messages that may have
appeared, but every time before this (on older smp kernels) it has stopped
at an unaligned access message.  As a point of reference, the last smp
kernel that was stable for me was 2.4.17-32-smp in debian.  There was an
updated version of it that was not stable, the stable one was the release
before (if the box was up, I could get more info from the .deb I grabbed
of it).  Hopefully that info will help you figure out what change was
likely to have caused the problems.  I'll get you specifics on that kernel
package tomorrow.

--
FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS: #4
A:	Go west, young man, go west!