[parisc-linux] Installing on C110

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 12:07:59 -0600

Juergen Braukmann wrote:
> I an stuck with three problems, for one my german keyboard doesn't work
> as expected (the <>| key in particvular). I should get round that with
> kbdconfig as suggested in another mail, but I diddn't fint that program
> installed. ;-( Since this is my first ever debian install, it's more a
> problem of finding and reading the docs to the packet manager and some
> more general info about debian systems.

"apt-get" is your friend.
Once upon a time, "apt-cache search <pgm>" would tell me which package
contained the program. But I've forgotten the explanation of why
that stopped working.

> More annoying is the system clock, that always puts me back to 1970. Set
> the date, wrote it back to CMOS, checked it, rebooted and was back into
> the seventies. The device /dev/rtc exists with the suggested major/minor
> numbers from the FAQ. At this time, I enter date time after bootup like
> with my first PC. ;-)

Could the battery be dead?
You might take that out and measure it with a volt meter.

> I cannot get X to run. "No screens found". I tried the good old
> xf86config setup, but don't realy know what to enter for a video card
> (thinking that's the problem). Help on that is also appreciated. Is
> there any tool to identify hardware in general?

www.parisc-linux.org has lots of FAQ info and HOW-TOs.
Look at the boot console output to determine which type
of graphics card you have and start hunting from there.

grant