[parisc-linux] Problem find devices on the E55 I/O interfaces

Christoph Plattner christoph.plattner@gmx.at
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 22:42:05 +0200

Hello Ryan !

Really nice to here from you !

Did you do some hacks on the MUX (of your type of machine) ?

In one of my mails I sent a log with my instrumented debug output,
so you may be able to read out something concerning the question
of bus type.

Here is one question: Although I a have hardware knowledge, I am
not fix HP terminology here.
Can you give me some hints here with the kewords "main bus",
"lower bus", etc...

Is the "main bus" the CPU bus which has connected the on board
devices and has a bridge to the the backpanel, or without bridge
to the backpanel ?
Or is the "main bus" the bus behind the bridge running on the back-
panel ?
Is the lower bus a bus on the interface card behind the bridge to
the backpanel bus, or ... ?
Is the bus converter itself a bridge ?
Is it transperent bridge or has it to be initialized and is special
drivers needed, etc...

A ASCII block diagram would be helpful, only very simple like

   +-+                    +-+
   | |----- main bus -----| |----- backpanel bus ------------------
   +-+                    +-+    |                 |           |
  CPU (core)           Bridge    I/F 1            I/F 2       I/F 3
				+-+
				| |
				+-+  Bus Converter

					MUX 	 SCSI

This is not true for the E55, it is only an EXAMPLE !!!

Together we will solve it, or ?

Christoph