[parisc-linux] kernel 2.4.17: fs sync broken?

joel.soete@freebel.net joel.soete@freebel.net
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:28:42 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

As I continue to investigate the problem with evms (last release 0.9.0) and also
as it still crashes, I try to obtain a more complete tool log file (evmsEngine.log).

So I try to remount my fs (/ here) with option sync (in fstab) and chattr +S
/var/log.

On a previous kernel realease (kernel-2.4.16-pa20) it seems to works for me: I
obtain a more complete log and I notice a famous decrease of the system speed.
But now I do not notice anymore this typical decrease of speed and by the way,
it is not anymore possible to obtain any evmsEngine.log (I presume that it is
the inode which is cleaned after the forced fsck requested at the reboot).

Can somebody tell me if it is specific to parisc or to all architectures for
this 2.4.17 kernel (sometime ago I read some discuss about this but do not get
conclusion)?

Thanks in advance for info,
        Joel

This mail sent through Tiscalinet Webmail (http://webmail.tiscali.be)