[parisc-linux] cross compilation

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:05:24 +0000

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 09:10:17PM +0000, Dark Fiber wrote:
> my intention is to port freebsd to a 64bit lp64(depending..) kernel.
> not a serious official freebsd port, but something i want to undertake.
> i'm hoping to concentrate on the pa8* cpu series and up. nothing might
> come of this whatsoever, but i'm willing to put a little time in and play
> around. i think i'm mad, but hey, it takes all kinds! ^_^

Uhm, yeah, you're certifiable :-)

You should ignore the cvs repositories on cvs.p-l.org for the most
part; we get our binutils from upstream and the gcc patches we require
are folded into the debian package (gcc 3.1 is supposed to support
hppa-linux... we'll see).

Just so you know, you'll have to write drivers to support:

 - Runway-to-GSC converter (u2/uturn)
 - GSC-to-PCI (dino/cujo)
 - Runway-to-Ropes (astro/ike)
 - Ropes-to-PCI (elroy)
 - Multifunction IO (lasi, wax, suckyio)

plus, if freebsd doesn't already have them:

 - Apricot (i82596) ethernet
 - ncr720 scsi
 - suckyio IDE/USB

you can cut down the number of drivers to write if you decide to only
support machines such as B1000 and up -- basically you're down to Astro
and Elroy support for those machines.  SuckyIO support if you want to
use the builtin serial/usb/ide/ps2/parallel controller.  But we managed
without that support for months, using PCI serial cards as console.  Oh
and don't forget the sound driver.  Think that's it...