[parisc-linux] X on 715/100

Tom palinux@alaskatech.org
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:14:55 -0900 (AKST)

There was a bit of chat about trying to make this work. Just figured I'd
mention that I've got X running on my 715/100 and A1097C monitor, with KDE
as the WM (not by choice, but it's working, so...)

In a nutshell, I installed the X packages, then 'dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86' and chose 'advanced'. Entered info as needed (monitor
settings 1280x1024, 78 horiz rate, 72 vertical refresh), then 8-bit color
default. Everything else was defaulted correctly (I believe).

http://www.alaskatech.org/stuff/XF86Config-4 is my working config file.

KDE isn't the speediest window manager for this machine - from 'startx'
until the system is responsive is around a minute or two, maybe a bit
more. But, it's working, and once loaded it isn't too bad. Something like
icewm-lite would probably be much speedier.

(Amazing what you can accomplish when someone says, "Hey, I'd like to buy
your 715 if you can get X working on it..." <g>)