[parisc-linux] vmlinux header for savecrash.

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:34:04 -0700

Bruno Vidal wrote:
> 	Hi
> I don't know how to retrieve option pass to the kernel,
> but give me some clue, and I'll add this information in
> the dump header asap, because it is a really good idea :-)

(credit: Randolph brought it up first)

Look at arch/parisc/kernel/setup.c:setup_cmdline().
We can add pretty much anything we need here.

It just occurred to me that the source media (ie network, disk)
needs to be identified as well.
Is the vmlinux/System.map required to be on the root file system?
Would it be reasonble if savecrash told the user that /boot/vmlinux
wasn't the matching kernel and where to put the right vmlinux/System.map?

Allowing users to drop the right kernel in place *after* the
crash dump was recovered seems reasonable thing to do.
Someone might want to move the crash dump to a bigger/faster
system to do the actual analysis.

grant