[parisc-linux] vmlinux header for savecrash.

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:45:33 -0700

Bruno Vidal wrote:
> 	Sorry, but on my system, fgrep gives nothing
> (and by using strings, I found nothing also).

grundler@gsyprf11:~$ uname -a
Linux gsyprf11.external.hp.com 2.4.17-pa11 #3 SMP Fri Jan 18 23:32:06 PST 2002 parisc64 unknown
grundler@gsyprf11:~$ strings /boot/vmlinux | fgrep 2.4.17
Linux version 2.4.17-pa11 (grundler@gsyprf10) (gcc version 3.0.3) #3 SMP Fri Jan 18 23:32:06 PST 2002
Linux 2.4.17-pa11
2.4.17-pa11
grundler@gsyprf11:~$

Perhaps a simple fgrep isn't sufficient for what you have.
You might need to pick out certain fields.

> And I
> can't use dmesg buffer, because by definition it is a buffer,
> so after running sometime, the palo boot strings is not
> in the buffer anymore.

right. They should be in the /var/log/messages if they are no longer
in the dmesg buffer.

> Some new ideas ?

Randolph Chung and I were wondering if dump driver could save a
parameter passed in by palo: eg "boot_kernel=/boot/vmlinux-pa11".
I haven't checked if something like that already exists.

grant