[parisc-linux] partitioned md to enable root on raid

Peter Mottram peter@petescaff.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 00:13:51 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Grant Grundler wrote:
> Peter Mottram wrote:
> > In order to use md on root devices with parisc there must be kernel
> > support for partitioned md (due to F0 partition).
>
> Are you implying that CONFIG_MD can only use full disks?
> linux/Documentation/Configure.help suggests CONFIG_MD only knows
> about the partitions you configure it for.

You can construct MD devices out of whole disks or partitions but you
cannot partition an MD device without Neil Brown's patches. What I would
like to achieve is to construct an MD device for use as a boot disk and
then partition it including the F0 partition in order that the LIF is also
mirrored. This cannot be done with a stock kernel.

OK - maybe the answer is to construct non-mirrored F0 partitions on both
boot disks and then use the rest of the disk for MD & boot from LVM
partitions. Here's the next question - does palo understand how to
boot from LVM?

PeteM