[parisc-linux] Re: sid vs woody (was 715/50)

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 15:07:23 -0700

"geezer" wrote:
> So the palinux-0.9-README file says "YOU MUST INSTALL 'sid'", blah, =
> blah, blah...

Uhm...which release? URL or from an ISO?

> I get "failed getting release file file:/instmnt/dists/sid/Release"
> The woody one installs OK, but I am not sure how "crippled" I may be =
> with it.
> Any ideas?  What more can I tell you to help with the diagnosis?

For 0.9.3, woody is correct. You won't be very crippled at all.

With "sid", plan on hppa being broken occasionally. I expect "woody"
to be more stable - IMHO better for folks who just want to use debian.
Newer kernel (compared to 0.9.3 ISO) from ftp.parisc-linux.org
will work for either release.

For the adventerous, edit the /etc/apt/sources.list to point
to "sid" like this:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sid/non-US main contrib non-free

Then do "apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade".

grant