[parisc-linux] Correction for the PA-RISC/Linux Boot HOWTO at ESIEE's web site.

Rafael Herrera raffo@neuronet.pitt.edu
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:55:06 -0500

I'm booting a 715/80 workstation using a PC with SuSE 7.2. Trying to
follow the examples to configure bootp/tftp at

http://mkhppa1.esiee.fr/parisc-linux-boot/parisc-linux-boot/preparation.html

I could not get it to boot.

This distribution sets the daemons as follows:

tftp    dgram  udp  wait  root  /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.tftpd -s /tftpboot
bootps  dgram  udp  wait  root  /usr/sbin/bootpd  bootpd -c /tftpboot

This a chroot setup, so the example /etc/bootptab in the web page will
not work.

The configuration that worked for me is the following:

parisc:hd=/:\
                 :ht=ethernet:\
                 :ha=0800093BF206:\
                 :ip=192.168.0.8:\
                 :bf=lifimage:\
                 :sm=255.255.0.0:\
                 :to=7200:

Where the bootable kernel image was the lifimage created using "make
palo" (The web page description is ambiguous as to what image to use:
vmlinux or lifimage)

Also the purpose of the parameter "rp" in the example bootptab is not
clear in the example. Its purpose is to specify a root filesystem to
mount, but the lifimage has that parameter set from palo Makefile.

--
      Rafael