[parisc-linux] 53c700 SCSI Driver Problems ~?= 712/80 and Quantum Fireball 1050MB HD problem

Carlos O'Donell Jr. carlos@baldric.uwo.ca
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 17:00:22 -0500

> Help with the following problem would be much appreciated:
>
> I boot parisc-linux from cd-drive and everything goes fine except the HD
> is not detected. All other hardware is correctly detected. The
> installation program recommends passing args to boot: or load
> appropriate module.
>
> Has anyone experienced this kind of problem?
> Thanks
> Sorin

Can you try to get a snip of text printed by the SCSI driver?

I seem to be having some issues with the newer SCSI driver
(October merge) on my 715/50's ... I'll post my info tommorow.

In particular (0.9.3 Install with apt-get updates):

Kernel 2.4.16-pa21 (Will be updating tommorow)

- Most of the drives I put into the box refuse to spinup.
	= E.g. "spinning up....." until timeout

- Boxes with 525MB HP Quantum ProDrive HD's lockup solid in
  mke2fs while writing superblocks (always happens).

- Drives that do spinup are reported as 0MB's because the
  sector size was invalid (4GIG Barracudas)

- Random lockups accessing the drive on 712/50's that
  seem to have functional drives. Usually manifested as
  a solid lock at a Random time during Init scripts.
  (I know cause I ran init=/bin/sh and straced evertyhing)

Most of our cluster is running 2.4.9-pa25 <= Very Stable.

Mind you, the latest kernel runs fine on our 712/60.
And since the problem _looks_ to be SCSI related...
that's what I'm going to try investigate.

=-= Help investigating =-=

I'm wondering if I'll need to get kgdb??
Or something other than serial?
The box _locks_ solid, no response, and I'm not quite sure
how to diagnose that.

c.