[parisc-linux] 755 sucess and questions

Aaron Macks aaronm@cs.brandeis.edu
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:56:57 -0500

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 01:39:24PM -0600, Bryan W. Headley wrote:
> Aaron Macks wrote:
>
> > so I got 0.93 to install on my 755/125, but I have two questions:
> > -how does one configure a mouse on a serial port
> > -how does one configure X
> > Aaron

ok, the framebuffer stuff sounds good, can be done when I return to
the machine
> 1. You need to know your framebuffer's screen resolution. Run fbset, or
> look at /var/log/messages.
>
> piddle:/etc/X11# /usr/sbin/fbset -i
>
> mode "1280x1024"
>      geometry 1280 1024 1280 1024 32
>      timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>      rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
> endmode
>
> Frame buffer device information:
>      Name        :
>      Address     : 0xf5000000
>      Size        : 8388608
>      Type        : PACKED PIXELS
>      Visual      : TRUECOLOR
>      XPanStep    : 0
>      YPanStep    : 0
>      YWrapStep   : 0
>      LineLength  : 8192
>      Accelerator : No
>
> Mine tells me I have 1280x1024, 32-color. 8-color is also popular (look
> at the last number in the "geometry" line.
>
> 2. Run debconf. (Apply the patch first). It generally offers several
> screen resolutions. You only want ONE resolution: the one the
> framebuffer supports. Here, we're talking 1280x1024
which patch for debconf?

> 3. Your mouse is a little different, but not that different. Tell
> debconf whether it's a microsoft-compatible or logitech protocol mouse,
> and which tty port it's connected to. (Really: not an HP mouse?)

The only reason I'm not using the HP mouse(there is a HIL one attached
to the keyboard) is that the docs I saw online stated a lack of
support for the hil mice.
> 4. Linux is generally rigged not to use the serial ports for
> modems/terminals. But yours might be... It's configured in /etc/inittab.
>
> 	# Example how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
> 	#
> 	#T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
> 	#T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100
>
> 	# Example how to put a getty on a modem line.
> 	#
> 	#T3:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS3
>
> 5. Here's my XF86Config-4 file for your amusement.

thanks!
Aaron

> --
> Bryan W. Headley - bheadley@interaccess.com
>

> [These attachments have been stored at Thinmail:]
>
> http://www.thinmail.com/tm/v/mULUNBn8aFV/XF86Config-4
> Size: 2881 Type: Plain Text Category: Received

Aaron Macks(aaronm@cs.brandeis.edu)
My sheep has seven gall bladders, that makes me the King of the Universe!