[parisc-linux] DISREGARD 0.9.3 installer didn't set 712 bootable

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:28:28 +0000

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 08:38:48PM -0800, Christian Suder wrote:
> The standard fdisk utility in Linux is pretty PC-ish, so you can only have
> 4 primary partitions. However you can create one of them as "extended"
> partition, and within this partition you can create additional ones,

this was a deliberate decision on our part to use the PC partition format
by default.  i don't think it's one to be ashamed of.  hpux's partitioning
scheme wasn't appropriate, and there are more tools which understand pc
partitioning than understand, say, sgi disklabels.