[parisc-linux] DSL on a 715/80 with rp-pppoe

Richard Hirst rhirst@linuxcare.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 13:46:52 +0000

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 10:29:08AM -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> peter@petescaff.com (Peter Mottram) writes:
>
> > The 2.4.9 Debian kernal package had hotplug disabled but the 2.4.16
> > package has it enabled. After a quick apt-get install of hotplug I have a
> > happy system again. I have filed a bug report to Debian on the kernel
> > package requesting a dependency on hotplug. This is obviously not the real
> > fix that is needed, but it would at least prevent this kind of problem for
> > anyone else.
>
> Nah, that's the wrong answer.  The kernel shouldn't crater if hotplug isn't
> present.

IIRC this is tied up with the __execve code in arch/parisc/kernel/entry.S:

        bl      sys_execve, %r2
        copy    %r16, %r26

        cmpib,=,n 0,%r28,intr_return    /* forward */

        copy    %r15, %r2
        bv      %r0(%r2)
        nop

which does not handle sys_execve failing when invoked from the kernel.
We had the same problem when /sbin/modprobe didn't exist.

Richard