[parisc-linux] Upgrading 715/100 Firmware

Bill Ferguson ferguson@quango.net
Thu, 03 Jan 2002 01:12:26 -0800

I know this has been asked a zillion times but bear with me.  I'm pretty
new to Linux, but familar with many other operating systems.

I've got debian 0.9.3 installed on a 715/100.  Seems to work pretty well.

My question relates to getting the firmware to a "scratch disk"  which
Grant speaks of in the archives (in my case sda1 set to type F0).  sdb1,
sdb2, sdb3, sdb4 are the disks where the Linux install resides.

Is type F0 the correct type to load firmware from?  Is there any parameters
other than:
dd if=c7x50016.frm of=/dev/sda1   ?   Do I need a block size parameter? eg
bs=2k like it says with tape?    Does sda1 need to be mounted first before
using dd ?  How does one mount an F0 disk?   What does F0 mean?  Is it HP
format?

I've tried booting from bootp, cdrom, tape, and now scratch disk and I
can't get the LIF image to work.