[parisc-linux] Re: XFree86 Question

Bryan W. Headley bwheadley@earthlink.net
Wed, 06 Feb 2002 17:45:57 -0600

Gururaj Ananthateerta wrote:

> I am facing simila problem and tried the fix suggested
> Rather, I don't know whether I have applied the fix xorrectly.
> Could anyone please explain how to fix this problem.
>

> Question
> ----------
>
> And now, an X question :-)
>
> I'm getting this on startup of the X server,
>
>         FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument
>
>         Fatal server error:
>         AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0
>
> Any ideas? Ran the release note patch, and upgraded to 2.4.16-pa24 to no
>
> avail. X server is rev 4.1.0-9.0.1.

The kernel when it boots up displays the colordepth and resolution that
the frame buffer device will run at. The message scrolls away fast, but
can be found in your /var/log/messages file.

Another way to get the same info is to run (as root),

	fbset -i

 From my machine, I get:

--
mode "1280x1024"
     geometry 1280 1024 1280 1024 32

Frame buffer device information:
     Name        :
     Address     : 0xf5000000
     Size        : 8388608
     Type        : PACKED PIXELS
     Visual      : TRUECOLOR
     XPanStep    : 0
     YPanStep    : 0
     YWrapStep   : 0
     LineLength  : 8192
     Accelerator : No
--

This tells me that the framebuffer supports 1280x1024 resolution ONLY.
If you look on the second line, the last number is 32, which is my

---
Section "Device"
         Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
         Driver          "fbdev"
         Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
         HorizSync       30-100
         VertRefresh     50-160
         Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier      "Default Screen"
         Device          "Generic Video Card"
         Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
         DefaultDepth    24
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth           1
                 Modes           "1280x1024"
         EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth           4
                 Modes           "1280x1024"
         EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth           8
                 Modes           "1280x1024"
         EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth           15
                 Modes           "1280x1024"
         EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth           16
                 Modes           "1280x1024"
         EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Depth           24
                 Modes           "1280x1024"
         EndSubSection
EndSection
---
Which tells X that my framebuffer supports colordepths from 1 to 32
(actually 24), and for each, the video resolution is only 1280x1024 (no
other resolutions supported. If you give it any other resolution(s),
you'll get the terse FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO error.

Now, what else? Ah, Gnome & Gtk. Those two, in conjunction with the X
server and the kernel that came with 0.9.3, do not work. I forget the
exact error message, but it had to do with saving private information...

Update the kernel. I forget which version had this fixed; I suspect that
the kernel 'dselect' offers to download will do the trick. If not, get
the latest sources and roll one.

Can't run X until this is done? (And you can't build a kernel without
several xterms to entertain?) Well, if you are running Gnone, or a
window manager that uses Gtk, you're temporarily doomed until you've
fixed the kernel.

What to do in the meantime? Well, you need to look in the
/etc/alternatives directory. There's a softlink there called
'x-window-manager' that points to the window manager you want to run. If
it's pointing to a Gtk-based on, you're doomed. Go get a copy of
BlackBox, have the softlink point to that window manager.

While you are at it, check what /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager is
pointing to. If you're set up for gnome, it points to
/usr/bin/gnome-session. If kde, /usr/bin/kde2. If you are using a
"simpler" window manager by itself (like blackbox, fvwm, twm, gwm), the
link doesn't exist. If you have it, remove it.

Now you can start xinit, fire off a few xterms, get dselect running, get
the kernel fixed, and have a good time.

--
Bryan W. Headley - bwheadley@earthlink.net