[parisc-linux] dump driver for parisc-linux: patch vs CVS

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 10:40:39 -0700

Bruno Vidal wrote:
> 	Hi.
> I've a dump driver available for 2.4.17-pa3 and I'll
> upgrade my source to latest CVS bits and redo the
> modifications. But do you think it is possible to
> put in the CVS these modifications ?

As Randolph noted, we need to see the diff and what was changed
in the generic kernel. Is the kernel and user space code GPL?

> I have modified:
> ./Makefile
> ./arch/parisc/config.in
> ./arch/parisc/kernel/traps.c
> ./arch/parisc/mm/init.c
> ./drivers/Makefile
> ./drivers/char/sysrq.c
> ./init/main.c
> ./kernel/ksyms.c
> ./kernel/panic.c
> ./kernel/sched.c

The last four might cause trouble....

> And I've added:
> ./include/linux/dump.h
> ./drivers/dump/Makefile
> ./drivers/dump/dump_base.c
> ./drivers/dump/dump_rle.c
> ./drivers/dump/dump_parisc.c

and we need to ask 2.4 maintainer if this can be added upstream too...

> So my question:
> -Do you think it is a good idea to have a dump driver available
> in the standart kernel ?

I do. But it's really up to linus/et al to decide that.
I can choose to commit this code to *our* tree (parisc-linux) only.
(and that's really not just my decision - need some consensus)

> -If yes, who is able to do the code review, and put this dump
> module in the CVS ?

Ideally, I'd like to see outstanding non-arch code changes merged
upstream first..  Otherwise, I don't mind maintaining that code in our tree.

thanks!
grant