[parisc-linux] 2.4.20-paxx Config problem (follow-up)

jsoe0708@tiscali.be jsoe0708@tiscali.be
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 08:27:49 +0100

Hi Ryan,

>The PDC Console should work for this box as it is really a firmware
>console.

I though too but seems to cause a problem with pci-ide cdrom?

>  The firmware console talks to /dev/ttyB0 instead of
>/dev/ttyS0, so that might be your problem?  Also in recent kernels the
>major number of /dev/ttyB0 changed from 60 to 11 so make sure the
>device file is correct.

IMHO it doesn't matter, as mentionned in previous mail, the system hang
very earlier at 'Search devices ...' step and the cdrom green led stay co=
ntiniously
light. Even TOC (I try it to get a piminfo) doesn't work at this stage.
Additionally, on a another b180 the problem doesn't occurs with the same
kernel?

>Finally, out of curiosity, why are you trying to use the PDC console?
>The B2k should have a 16550 port (off the suckyio chip???) that should
>work for you.

Yes usual serial console works fine for this model.
In fact the first goal was not to test PDC console but it was to test the=

basic config files suggested in arch/parisc/debian-configs (32 bits becau=
se
I test it in parallel on a 180).
AFAIK it is the config used to build install CD and network boot lifimage=
?
So, in case of problem (test corrupting system, disk broken, ...) and for=

the newbies, I would be sure that config is also relevant to (re-)build
_quickly_ a system of this model.

Thanks for your attention and advises (it will be usefull for futur test)=
.

Merry Christmas,
    Joel

PS: For 32 bit release UP release, I also find strange that DEBUG SPINLOC=
option was selected and selectable. I was also convinced that it had only=

matter with SMP config?

Promo Tiscali ADSL: 35 Euros/mois, 1er mois et activation =3D 0 Euro http=
://adsl.tiscali.be