[parisc-linux] 2.5 randomly kills applications with page faults

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:37:47 -0700

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 04:12:37PM -0600, James Bottomley wrote:
> The fix is simple: increment the stack pointer.  I chose 16 to preserve every
> alignment I can think of is that also safe for 64 bit?

needs to be 64 bytes - lamont confirmed.

> With this fix, my system seems fairly solid.  It survives my bitkeeper and
> stress tests so far (about 30 min) previously it always collapsed within
> a few minutes.

excellent!

> P.S. After this little debug frenzy, I don't personally care if I ever see
> another line of parisc assembly again, so if another obscure register
> trashing problem turns up, my good deed is done...

*G*
/me kowtows to the east several times...

>  	STREG	%r1,0(%r30)			/* Stick r1 (usp) here for now */
> +	ldo	16(%r30),%r30

As David observed, this wants to use ",ma" and I'll work that out with
lamont/helge offline.
Something will get committed to 2.4.x/2.5.x trees this afternoon.

thanks - what a wonderful Christmas present! :^)

grant