[parisc-linux] rp2430 questions

Gavin Hubbard ghub005@xtra.co.nz
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:08:15 +1300

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:51:18PM +1300, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm installing a dual-boot rp2430 system for one of our developers
> > this weekend. Are there any parisc-linux issues I need to be aware of
> > with regards to the crippled firmware e.g. known installation problems
> > or gotchas?
>
> Nope. You will want to upgrade the kernel ASAP though.
> Get the latest 2.4.19 kernel you can find.
>
> > Also, if we do a firmware upgrade to rp2470 in two or three months time
> > will it require a complete rebuild or reinstallation of the linux OE to
> > support the unlocked hardware?
>
> We don't have any rp2430's here to test such an upgrade.
> But I can't imagine any difference besides the additional (faster?) CPU
> (and more memory) getting recogized. Should your root disk get renamed,
> it's possible to recovery from that pretty easily - I've done it
> more than a few times.

Thanks Grant

The other difference is the PCI controller support - the rp2430 has two working PCI slots and two disabled slots which are enabled by the upgrade.

Since I don't actually know how the device disabling is done in hardware, I'm not convinced that parisc-linux will come up smoothly after I install the upgrade (I'm not worried about HP-UX - it will be fine). Can anyone shed light on this?

Regards,

Gavin