[parisc-linux] rp2430 questions

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:26:57 -0700

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:51:18PM +1300, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm installing a dual-boot rp2430 system for one of our developers
> this weekend. Are there any parisc-linux issues I need to be aware of
> with regards to the crippled firmware e.g. known installation problems
> or gotchas?

Nope. You will want to upgrade the kernel ASAP though.
Get the latest 2.4.19 kernel you can find.

> Also, if we do a firmware upgrade to rp2470 in two or three months time
> will it require a complete rebuild or reinstallation of the linux OE to
> support the unlocked hardware?

We don't have any rp2430's here to test such an upgrade.
But I can't imagine any difference besides the additional (faster?) CPU
(and more memory) getting recogized. Should your root disk get renamed,
it's possible to recovery from that pretty easily - I've done it
more than a few times.

grant