[parisc-linux] Re: Solved: Kernel crash when loggin in via ssh

Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:52:36 -0500 (EST)

> $ ssh -p 1022 -2 tausq@gsyprf10.external.hp.com
> tausq@a500:~$ dmesg|grep gcc
> Linux version 2.4.20-pa13 (tausq@a500) (gcc version 3.2.2 20021202 (Debian prerelease)) #12 SMP Wed Dec 11 23:02:01 PST 2002

I plan to change BIGGEST_ALIGNMENT back to 64 bits on the 32 branch today
assuming that testing is successful.  The main branch was changed yesterday.
This affects the alignment of long doubles under hpux and possibly the
alignment of __atomic_lock_t types parisc-linux linux.

I have been testing revised glibc locking code.  It only requires integer
alignment for __atomic_lock_t types.  I am convinced this is the
correct solution.  The __attribute__ ((aligned(16))) doesn't always
do what you want.  Specifically, it doesn't work for stack locals, or
malloc'd data.

There is still one gcc pthread test failure (pthread6) under investigation.
>From initial debugging, it doesn't appear that this fail is caused by the
locking code.

I had a lot of trouble testing the glibc fix until I realized you have
to rebuild gcc after the change.  It depends on the specifics of the lock
initializer.

Dave