[parisc-linux] Re: GNU/Libc 2.3.1 on HP-PARISC requires >= 2.4.19 kernel.

b.gunreben b.gunreben@web.de
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:10:03 +0100

John David Anglin wrote:

> > Hi, my name is Carlos, and I cause all your nightmares with glibc on
> > HPPA :)
> > [...]
> > I recommend that you _do_ _not_ upgrade glibc on HPPA until 2.3.1-6.
>
> Being perverse, I tried installing 2.3.1-5.  I hit the same problem
> that Joel mentioned previously, the old dynamic loader doesn't define
> GLIBC_PRIVATE.  I was trying to install glibc privately in a prefix of
> my selection.  I have been using LD_LIBRARY_PATH to select my library
> path.  However, this no longer works since all system binaries are
> linked using /lib/ld.so.1 and it isn't compatible with the 2.3.1
> libraries.  Is there a way around this?

Well, I don't think it is perverse. I have already more than 10 days
uptime with a machine, that runs completely with 2.3.1 (and this machine
was only for about 13h idle).

In order to run with the new ld.so, you may try the following:

command

or you set up a chroot system with all needed programs.

Berthold