[parisc-linux] panic while "set serial" with 2.4.20-pa9

Paul Bame bame@fc.hp.com
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 09:26:49 -0700

> --------------11B10191D25EDD401FC846C9
>
> ICAgIEhpDQpJJ20gY29tcGlsaW5nIGEgbmV3IGtlcm5lbCwgYnV0IGl0IHBhbmljIHdoaWxl
> IGRvaW5nICJzZXQgc2VyaWFsIjoNCg0KU2VyaWFsIGRyaXZlciB2ZXJzaW9uIDUuMDVjICgy
> MDAxLTA3LTA4KSB3aXRoIE1BTllfUE9SVFMgU0hBUkVfSVJRIFNFUklBTF9QQ0kgZW5hYmxl

It's probably not the new kernel. setserial is quite dangerous and
bypasses any driver-related safety.  I often disable or remove it on
development machines and it's often fatal after a serial configuration
change.

The two places I've suffered are when I removed serial ports and
rebooted, and when I booted a second machine (with different port setup)
from a disk made from the first machine.  In both cases setserial tried
to restore settings using addresses which didn't exist --> panic.

	-P