[parisc-linux] GNOME 1.4

Alan Cox alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
30 Aug 2002 12:07:39 +0100

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 07:02, jsoe0708@tiscali.be wrote:
> I also appreciate xfce. Just need more than 8 colors but I read Alan Cox
> mail about hp dither CR technic but do not really how to use this material.
> I some one has already some draft code?

For 8bit desktops just bang the icons through the pnmtools and quantize
them to 16 colours. I do wish X had an RGB332 'truecolour' some times.

That draft code tells you how to dither your images for the display. As
far as I can make out its primarily aimed at 3D rendering, so you can
have fake high quality 3D images (where 8bit banding _really_ ruins the
display) at lower resolution than your desktop