[parisc-linux] Question (fbdev, fbset, debconf)

B. Douglas Hilton bdhilton@charter.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 22:46:35 -0400

Don't get a Visualize-24 card. I don't think those
work right now either. Your choice of graphics boards
for a C200 is pretty slim. You have to be careful,
I found that out the HCRX-24Z board apparently fried
my onboard LAN devices when I plugged it onto the GSC bus.
I'm selling it on Ebay right now, so don't buy it,
it won't work :-)

Visualize-EG boards were the low-end boards for C-200
and I think C-180 machines. You may be able to scrounge
one if you are patient. I believe the one you want
is the A4450A. Even still it only has 8-bit color.

I'm going to be attempting to get a *Voodoo2* board
working with X, so if you hang around I may be able
to write a HOWTO-hppa-Voodoo2-XFree86 guide, assuming
it works.

In the meantime, consider getting a used dumb terminal.
I have one and it is pretty convenient at times like
these. If I was getting a new one I think I'd take my
chances on a Wyse-30, they are extremely compact, but
I'm not sure how developed their terminfo support is.
I used my dumb terminal to initially bootstrap my
machine.

Or just run a null modem cable into the serial port
of your other linux box and use something like minicom
to be its terminal.

I realize I'm ramlbing here. Well, I believe that people
are working on getting the FX2/4/6 board working, so
don't get rid of it just yet.

Tobias Giesen wrote:
>>get a used cheap Visualize-EG card somewhere.
>

> I see - any other models that will work? I read your post about a
> Visualize-24. Also, do all the different Visualize-EG models work?

Not sure. Be careful about putting cards from older machines
into the C200. May cause hardware damage.