[parisc-linux] Hints to debug, was: Voodoo3 PCI on C200 experiment pending!

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 05:21:34 +0100 (IST)

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, M. Grabert wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, B. Douglas Hilton wrote:
>
> > I just scarfed up a somewhat used Voodoo3 PCI graphics
> > card from Ebay and intend to try it out with Debian/HPPA
> > and a custom built kernel.

[...]

> I think I have to disappoint you. I doesn't work for me :-(

[...]

> But unfortunately sticking the Voodoo into a 32bit PCI slot doesn't get
> much further: starting XFree86 will cause a HPMC shortly after a message
> like "Lasi: barking without apparent reason" (obviously from gsc/lasi.c).
> This is just before it is about to initialize the Voodoo3 (with the
> Intel emulator in XFree86). At least the messages printed on the console
> seem to be like the last messages XFree86 usually prints out just before
> activating the graphics card on other platforms.

Does anybody can give me some hints what to do to debug this issue?
I'm not a kernel hacker, and I don't have any knowledge about PA-RISC
linux internals and PA-RISC assembler programming (but I hope I'll improve
this situation in the future ;)

However I know C quite well (and debugging, stack manipulation, reverse
engineering), and I used it not only as a hobby.

Can anybody give me some hints how I should compile the kernel (-g), how
and if I should use the kernel debugger and recompile X with debugging
symbols in order to get some more interesting information about how and
why it Voodoo/X fails on PA-RISC linux? I'm sure will not be able to fix
the problem, but I probably can feed you with some information that will
help you to locate and solve the problem.
At least this is an interesting/annoying bug for two people (probably
more) and we could investigate it a little bit more while you don't have
to waste too much time on this issue yourself.

greetings max