[parisc-linux] hp9000/827s

B. Douglas Hilton bdhilton@charter.net
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 03:59:26 -0400

IMHO all HP hardware is of exceptional quality. I have used their
products for years all the way from RPN calculators, to a Pavilion PC,
to a 715/80, to a C200. They are without a doubt the best computer
company ever. When I was at Penn State, I learned MC68000 assembly
on a HP minicomputer running a whole lab of terminals (we used VI)
and had a great time with it!

I love this new C200 I got. Unfortunately, as a home computer hobbyist,
I cannot afford to purchase their newer hardware, but they seem to be
a great platform to port linux to. Linux is a great home OS because
it has thousands of apps available and makes an excellent experimenter
system. HP/UX is great for high-end engineering apps on the cutting edge
of technology but by the time these systems filter down to the home
user Linux becomes a lot more attractive because the big $$$ CAD apps
have probably been deleted and us experimenters can't afford to license
such things.

I am probably pushing my luck here as this is not really kernel-specific
stuff, but if any cpu's ever made sense they were the HP ones. They had
their crap together in a big way, a pa-risc cpu is a programmer's dream.

Just do it!