[parisc-linux] linux on pa-risc

Andrew Shugg andrew@neep.com.au
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:14:05 +0800

Quoth Patryk Bonzanini:
> hi, i have an hp workstation whit hp-ux operating system and pa-risc cpu
> (100mhz)
> this computer doesn't have any cdrom or floppy drive.

May you live in interesting times.

> can i install linux on this machine?

Yes, over the network.  Kenneth's response to your post has some info
to get you started.

> what can i do whitout cdrom, i must buy it?

If you can find an external SCSI CDROM drive on eBay or through the
place where you obtained your workstation, you will probably find that
useful in the long term.

> after this upgrade can i run maya for linux ?

The Alias|WaveFront Maya for Linux package is only for the i386 (IA32)
platform.  So, no you won't be able to run it.  And even if it were
available for hppa, your poor little 100MHz processor really wouldn't be
cutting it!    =)

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."