[parisc-linux] not freeing initmem and power button

Kenneth Westelinck kennywest1@hotmail.com
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:41:08 +0000

Hi all,

After a few months of gathering dust, I finally decided to upgrade my
712/60. It was initially installed with the old 0.9.2 ISO, and upgraded with
a more recent kernel (I think it was 2.4.9). This weekend I did an apt-get
update, apt-get upgrade to upgrade my system (woody). I also compiled a new
kernel (2.4.18-pa16) for this system. The system boots fine and as far as I
can see, all applications "survived" the upgrade. The only problem I am
experiencing are 2 _bugs_ mentionned a while ago in the mailing list.

- When booting the kernel reports: NOT FREEING INITMEM. I found this in the
mailing list, but I couldn't find a solution. Is there any solution for this
problem? I don't think I had this when running the old kernel.

- Second, when I push the power button, the system powers off without doing
a clean shutdown. When running the 2.4.9 kernel the machine didn't halt when
pushing this button. Only typing in "shutdown -h now" did the trick. I
prefer this behaviour. In this case a normal user cannot shutdown the
machine, except by pulling the power cord. Can someone please tell me which
file to edit/tweak to give back this
old behaviour?

Many thanks in advance.

regards,