[parisc-linux] some bugs

Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:37:08 -0400 (EDT)

> > > - 100Mbit is not supported properly (full-duplex support is always
> > >   recognized, but 100Mbit just occationally).
> > >   Of course it's a full 10/100Mbit SWITCH (no hub), and I checked the
> > > cables Moreover I just have 100Mbit network devices plugged into the
> > > switch.
> >
> > I never had problems with tulip and 100MBit here (on c3k).
>
> 10Mbit works perfectly. 100Mbit works once it is detected, which is
> often, but not always. Lately it seems to be working most of the times
> on 100Mbit, perhaps due latest improvements in the kernel ?
>
> But perhaps it's only a h/w issue (incompatibility with switch and
> network card?). Once the workstation is switched on, it seems
> the kernel won't change the connection mode (e.g. changing from
> 10Mbit to 100Mbit) that was initially negotiated by the network card.
> Thus is presume that sometimes the h/w 100Mbit negotiation works,
> sometimes not, since the 10Mbit mode is entered BEFORE starting the
> linux kernel (which don't change it to 100Mbit).

I've a similar problem with a C200 under hpux.  The card doesn't always
autonegotiate 100Mbit full-duplex in the PDC at boot.  I then force the
card to 100Mbit full-duplex in the hpux driver initialization.  However,
even this sometimes fails.  Then, if something happens to the switch
configuration, I have never seen the card renegotiate the link settings
successfully.  I have a feeling that it might be better to set the PDC
default to 100Mbit half-duplex, and also set the switch and boot
parameters to the same (ie., don't use full-duplex or autonegotiation).

Dave