[parisc-linux] 64bit newbie question

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 19:09:28 +0100 (IST)

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> > What are the issues why no 64bit userland is supported yet ?
> > (Besides too many bugs in the compiler ?) Is this difficult to archive?
>
> Nobody's bothered to do the work yet.  are you vounteering?

If I would have

- any knowledge about pa-risc (well, I could learn that)
- any knowledge about to crawl through the gcc jungle
- I would have a real 64bit machine and the need to run 64bit apps
  or at least if I'd have enough the ambition to do it (well,
  there's a little ambition, but not enough yet :)
- any have enough time for that (I'm currently doing my PhD thesis)
          (^^^^^^^^^^^ most important point)

well, then yes.

But unfortunately in the next 4 years I'm quite busy with what
I'm doing right know (even wasting my spare time with my work).

I'd love to learn pa-risc and how gcc works, but this will probably
be a task that I will do whenever I have spare spare time.
I think after the next 4 years I'll have gained enough experience
to do this task, but not in the near future :(

The reason why I'm subscribed to this list is basically:
I own 2 HP workstations, and I want to learn a little bit about
them and - even more interesting - I want to contribute a little
help by testing software and sending bug reports.

Last but not least some kudos:
I have to say that this mailing list is the most competent,
tolerant, indulgent, helpful and friendly maining lists of all
the os mailing lists I was subscribed to so far (xMach, Linux/SPARC,
Linux/x86, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Hurd, L4) or browsed though (even more).

It's really amazing how much progress Linux/PARISC has made in the
last few years. In comparison to other architectures (e.g. MIPS,
m68k, SPARC and VAX etc.) it seems that here are people working
day and night to support parisc-linux (or the people of some other
architectures don't put too much effort in their work ;)!

Keep on the good work!!!

greeting max