[parisc-linux] Missing beep... and music too

Paul Bame bame@fc.hp.com
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 09:12:00 -0700

> 712/80i was one of the few systems that was sold w/o Floating Pointing
> coprocessor (or FP was disabled) at a lower price point. I believe
> parisc-linux kernel ignores the lies that PDC presents about the FP
> not being present. But I'm wondering if something is really
> disabled on the chip that causes FP to just not work.  I don't know
> if our FP emulation will deal with a completely missing FP Unit.

The 80i FPU is disabled in hardware.  I once saw the restoration
procedure and gagged.

palinux has nearly all, but not 100% of the FPU emulation code.  I
don't recall why I omitted a couple of things -- probably due to
structural issues fitting them into our kernel.  We had also made
a decision not to support FPU-less boxes.

> If this really the case, I should be able find you a real 712/80
> to play with. But you need to figure out what is causing the
> illegal instruction first.

If Grant can't find one, I'm pretty sure we have a 712/80 CPU board
around somewhere.

	-P