[parisc-linux] Missing beep... and music too

Jbit james_a_n_lee@yahoo.com
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 15:11:57 +0100

 > 712/80i was one of the few systems that was sold w/o Floating Pointing
 > coprocessor (or FP was disabled) at a lower price point. I believe
 > parisc-linux kernel ignores the lies that PDC presents about the FP
 > not being present. But I'm wondering if something is really
 > disabled on the chip that causes FP to just not work.  I don't know
 > if our FP emulation will deal with a completely missing FP Unit.

My 80i plays mp3s (via mpg123) beutifly.. without FPU emulation..
(but i had lots of problems getting it to work in debian, works a treat under lfs ;)
I just always assumed debian compiled it weirdly... hrm...
Or it could be that when i compiled mpg123 i didn't put any FPU code in (needed a bit of hacking to compile)
I'll investigate.. see what happend...

BTW... Everybodys aware that the internal speaker is connected to the LASI Harmony chip, yeah?
(Theres no way to generate a beep in hardware, you'd need to make a driver that generated a PCM beep and sent it to the hardware)
At least AFAIK

--jbit