[parisc-linux] 64bit newbie question

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 14:32:13 +0100 (IST)

Hi,

I  was just wondering how you can produce 64bit executables for hppa.
'info gcc', 'man gcc' or 'gcc -v --help' doesn't mention 64bit
support at all.

IIRC on sparc systems, you can produce 64bit executables by specifying/
enabling the V9-Architecture and the 64bit support, i.e. just adding
the option '-mcpu=v9' and '-m64'. It seems to be similar on
many other architectures (submodels), too.

But it seems that for hppa 64bit is an entire different submodel,
or am I wrong ?

What do I have to do to

- build a 64bit capable gcc for hppa ?
- produce a 64bit executable ?
- create a 64bit kernel ? (I know it doesn't make sense on Cxxx
  machines, and 64bit has much more bugs than 32bit support ;)

And are there precompiled binaries available (debian/hppa executables) ?
I haven't seen an egcs64, gcc64 or hppa64-gcc in the debian pool ...

greetings max