[parisc-linux] "unaligned access to ... at ip=..." problem with evms and jfs

joel.soete@freebel.net joel.soete@freebel.net
Thu, 04 Apr 2002 11:46:06 +0200 (CEST)

Quoting Randolph Chung <randolph@tausq.org>:

> > It seems harmless but not sure.
>
> well.... in general this is not a problem, however....
>
> Fleedwood found a bug in the unaligned handler last week. it doesn't
> handle the pre/post increment cases of load and store, and there may be
> some cases where these messages will indicate the cause of errors.
>
> I'll look into fixing this, but it might take some time.

Well I will be patient as till now (at least a month) evms seems to works
correctly :-)

> > I query the ml db and found similar problems (and its solution :_)
> )(reiserfs:
> > http://lists.parisc-linux.org/hypermail/parisc-linux/5862.html), but I
> do not
> > very well understand what I have to find the sources (_u32* ?).
>
> it depends, you need to make sure all the memory accesses happen on
> natural boundaries...  (e.g. int on 4 byte boundaries, short on 2 byte
> boundaries, etc). From the ip reported by the unaligned message you
> should be able to trace back to the asm insn and function (if your
> objects are not stripped) that is causing the unaligned access.

Humm... in evms (not yet investigate jfs) I notice that 4-byte variables are
pass to function parameters actualy 2-byte without casting. Could this be a reason?

> randolph
> --
>    @..@                                         http://www.TauSq.org/
>   (----)