[parisc-linux] nmap -O -> kernel panic on 712

thunder7@xs4all.nl thunder7@xs4all.nl
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:06:28 +0200

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 12:38:29PM +0200, Albert Strasheim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty new to the whole PA-RISC Linux effort, so I would appreciate
> it if someone could explain to me (and perhaps to other newbies), what
> these unaligned access traps are, and what needs to be added to traps.c
> (or possibly elsewhere) to get things working properly?

AFAIK, an unaligned trap is a process (or the kernel) that tries to
access memory on a location that is not 32-bit aligned.

Supposedly, there should be code that determines what the process was
trying to do, gets the information on a 32-bit aligned address, modifies
the information to the form the process wanted it in, then returns to
the process.

All of this requires assembly and some tricks with interrupts etc, which
doesn't make it a project for beginners (well, not beginners with my
level of knowledge and determination :-) ).

there is something called arch/parisc/kernel/unaligned.c, but that
doesn't seem to be the whole story.

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
You have no feelings for me, but you do have feelings against me.
	Neelix - Startrek Voyager