[parisc-linux] Re: Trace/Breakpoint trap on "make mrproper"

thunder7@xs4all.nl thunder7@xs4all.nl
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 16:28:41 +0200

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 07:56:42AM -0600, John Marvin wrote:

> > It looks like this patch:
> > >Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 03:48:16 -0600 (MDT)
> > >From: John Marvin jsm@udlkern.fc.hp.com
> > >Subject: [parisc-linux-cvs] Patch for SMP support, etc.>
> > >A rather large patch that includes my current SMP support changes, plus
> > >a variety of other fixes/changes.
> >
> > did something. But it's so large I'm not sure what exactly :-)
> >
> > Jurriaan
> >

> I was pretty sure my changes to handle_break (in traps.c) would fix that
> problem.  When I read your note I remembered that I had seen a similar
> problem and fixed it.  The kernel would hang when a user program executed
> a break instruction (either intentionally or not) without an attached
> debugger. That is the problem you were seeing.
>
> However, now that the machine doesn't hang, I am not sure if the remaining
> problem you are seeing is a kernel bug or a userland bug.  It would appear
> that you are executing 0's (0x00000000 is a break instruction). That
> should cause the kernel to send you a SIGTRAP signal. I just checked some
> of your old mail, and it looks like you are getting a SIGTRAP. One thing
> that looks strange is that you are getting signals delivered using stack
> addresses both at ~0xfaf00000 and ~0xbff00000. I wonder if make is using
> an alternate signal stack?

It may interest you to know that this 'Trace/breakpoint trap' does occur
when I compile the kernel for a PA8x00 cpu, but it doesn't occur when I
compile for PA7x00 cpu....

Jurriaan
--
I'll never be back and I'll never be missed
But I leave something here